Softball

Syracuse’s offense carries it to doubleheader victories against Pittsburgh

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

Alicia Hansen led Syracuse in hits in the first win over Pittsburgh, going 4-for-5 and scoring a run.

Syracuse (23-15, 5-9 Atlantic Coast) scored eight runs in each of its games against Pittsburgh (21-18, 4-13) on Friday, both resulting in wins. SU won 8-0 in the first game and 8-1 in the second game, and has now scored five or more runs in five straight games.

In game one, Syracuse made quick work of Pittsburgh, ending the game an inning early due to the mercy rule. The Orange loaded the bases in the first inning and seized the opportunity. Faith Cain roped a ball to left field to knock in the first run of the game. Two batters later, Hannah Dossett sent the ball back to left field for a double, which scored three runners. Dossett’s three RBI’s were a team high for SU while Alicia Hansen led the team in hits going 4-5 from the plate.

As Syracuse racked up ten hits, freshman left-hander Alexa Romero only allowed Pittsburgh four. She pitched a complete game shutout, striking out 12 out of the 25 batters she faced.

Game two went the full seven innings but the result was similar. Syracuse smacked 14 hits while Pittsburgh only mustered two. In the fifth, Jessica Hesse sent one over the fence in left for a three-run shot. In the next inning, Cain hit a three-run bomb of her own over the center field wall. Seven runs for Syracuse in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings sealed the game

Syracuse’s pitching matched the hitting just like in game one. AnnaMarie Gatti started the game, followed by Sydney O’Hara, before Romero came in to close. The trio combined for 12 strikeouts with O’Hara earning the win and Romero the save.

Syracuse closes out the three-game series at Pittsburgh on Saturday at 12pm.