Syracuse men’s lacrosse: Former Denver midfielder Brendan Bomberry will reportedly transfer to Syracuse

Courtesy of John Baker | Denver University

Brendan Bomberry scored 19 goals and assisted on 14 others with Denver last season.

Denver midfielder Brendan Bomberry will transfer to Syracuse and play in 2017, according to Casey Vock of 3dRising.com. Bomberry received his release from Denver, a DU spokesman confirmed.

Bomberry joins Henry Grass (Johns Hopkins) as the second transfer from a marquee program this offseason.

Bomberry recorded 19 goals and 14 assists in 2016 without starting any games. His 11 man-up goals ranked first in the nation. He was also the 2015 Minto Cup MVP while playing for Six Nations in Canada’s junior men’s box lacrosse league, recording nine goals and eight assists in the six-game series.

The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Ohsweken, Ontario native had four goals and four assists in eight games as a freshman. He missed the last 11 games, including Denver’s national title run, due to academic suspension, according to the Denver Post.

Syracuse lost two of its top four scorers — attacks Dylan Donahue (61 points) and Tim Barber (43) — due to graduation. Midfielders Sergio Salcido (53), Nick Mariano (46) and attack Jordan Evans (35) are the Orange’s top three returning offensive threats. Bomberry would likely compete for a starting spot.