Track and Field

7 Syracuse runners named All-Americans, most in over 40 years

Seven Syracuse runners were named All-Americans at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in Eugene, Oregon, the most for the program in over 40 years.

In the women’s 10,000-meters, Margo Malone (33:39.50) raced to a seventh-place finish and garnered first-team All-American honors, concluding an accolade-filled season in which Malone also won gold in the event at the Atlantic Coast Conference Outdoor Championship.

Justyn Knight and Colin Bennie also garnered high honors, as Knight, who won gold in the 1,500 meters at the ACC Outdoor Championships, took sixth in the men’s 5,000-meter run with a time of 13:50.96 and earned first-team All-American honors. Bennie clocked in at 14:12.88, good for 14th place and second-team All-American.

Donald Pollitt and Freddie Crittenden were each named second-team All-Americans in the 110-meter hurdles. Crittenden missed the final cut by .02 seconds.

He ran a personal best 13.63 seconds in the first heat, finishing fifth and ninth overall. Only the top-eight advanced.

Pollitt ran a 13.68 in the third heat, finishing third and just narrowly missing the final cut as well. He was also named a first-team All-American in 2013.

The Orange had the most participants of any school in the men’s 10,000-meter run, where Martin Hehir (29:47.29) snagged 13th and was named a second-team All-American.

Dan Lennon took 15th in the event, timing at 29:55.69 and also earning second-team All-American honors, while Max Straneva’s 18th place finish of 30:06.94 earned him an honorable mention.

The eight runners that qualified for the NCAA Outdoor Championships were the most for Syracuse in over 30 years.

The meet concludes a historic season that also saw the Orange crack the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association poll’s top 20 for the first time in school history.